BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Chapters 12 - 13

Time Lapse

This book is the shortest in the series and we can see how in just these couple of chapters. Chapter 12 begins just before Christmas and chapter 13 ends in late Spring. The major lapse in time is understandable. The overall plot of the series hasn't quite developed yet. We don't want to throw too much at our little hero just yet.

I've got to say... I got all giddy when I found out that Hermione's parents are BOTH dentists. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

The Invisibility Cloak

I love that the first thing Harry does with the cloak is he goes out and breaks school rules. It's interesting that the cloak was his fathers and that it was given to him by Dumbledore. Why did Dumbledore have it? Don't worry, that gets answered in about 3300 more pages.




Mirror of Erised

It's interesting that Dumbledore has seemingly led Harry to the mirror of Erised. What I like about this part in the book is that Dumbledore sits down on the floor next to Harry. I think this really shows Dumbledore's character; that he doesn't see himself as superior to anyone else. Even though he probably knows he's the greatest wizard out there, he humbles himself and shows this by having a rather adult conversation with an 11-year-old. Yet, another thing about Dumbledore's relationship with Harry comes out in this section. When Harry asks Dumbledore what he sees in the mirror, Dumbledore replies that he sees himself with a pair of socks. Even Harry feels that Dumbledore isn't being quite honest. Dumbledore is being a bit patronizing here, yet he must really feel strongly about not sharing this piece of personal information because he is otherwise quite open about other things.

The Sorcerer's Stone

Oh good, we finally find out what the blasted book title means. The original title of this book was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone which is the title that was used in the British version. "Philosopher", however, has a slightly different connotation here in America, so the editors decided to change the title for the American publication.


3 comments:

Dave & Chels said...

I'm glad they used 'Sorcerer's' instead of 'Philosopher's' as the title.
On a totally different note, I was reading a fictional (well, parts of it were true) book about Nicholas Flamel and started wondering where I had heard his name before. Then I realized his named was mentioned in this book - he supposedly "found" this so-called stone. If it is real or not is a whole different story. His life is very interesting to read about.
I hope that all made sense to someone other than myself!

Tyler the Gryffindork said...

Nicolas Flamel was an actual person? Whoa.

DiaNe said...

Sam told me about your blog and I got really excited about reading it! It's nice to find someone who is invested in dissecting the books.