BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 5, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Chapters 4-5

So, Harry knows he's a wizard. He must be a good judge of character if he trusts Gigantosaurus because Uncle Giggle-snort, Aunt Flappergums, and Beefy Weefy certainly don't. One thing I thought of when reading these chapters is the name of Diagon Alley. Does it seem weird to you that when put together the two words form the word "diagonally?" I'm not sure if it was intentional, but judging from the way J.K. Rowling writes, I would say that it was intentional. Also, notice how many references to the color green there are. Harry's eyes, the writing on his Hogwarts acceptance letter, the icing on his birthday cake, and the smoke that came out of his Gringotts vault when it was first opened. Again, I'm sure this was intentional, but even after reading the entire series, i'm still not sure of the exact reasons for making all the 'green' references, but I have my theories.




One thing I love about J.K. Rowling's writing is how descriptive she is. As she describes Diagon Alley, even though everything there is made up and sensational, she makes it completely believable. To those shopping there, everything is commo
nplace and ordinary, just like going to the mall for you and me. From here, the author really sets the stage for how she wants her readers to view the wizarding world: Unbelievable, yet believable.

4 comments:

Dave & Chels said...

I promise I will start commenting once I start re-reading the book. Things have been a bit busy around here...having a baby, moving...:)

Tyler the Gryffindork said...

I understand about the whole baby thing. We're having ours in three days! Maybe I can blog while she's in labor... not much else I can do :)

mamab said...

Why do you think J.K. would use "diagonally" in her writing? Also, weren't Dumbledore's robes green? What are your theories about the green thing?

Tyler the Gryffindork said...

I'm not sure why J.K. would use the word "diagonally" other than to mean "off the beaten path" or "not the usual direction." And no, Dumbledore's robes are green at some point, but i don't think that's significant, since his robes are a lot of different colors throughout the books. Green doesn't show up as a robe color any more than any other color. I can't disclose my theories about the green thing yet because it would give away too much about future plot elements. Sorry. We'll get there eventually.