BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Chapters 10 - 11

Hermione, the Wretch

Hermione debuts as quite the piece of work. Sadly, she reminds me a lot of me when I was younger. Scratch that. I'm still a lot like her in a lot of ways. I find it interesting that from the get go, Hermione and Ron's relationship is a bit strained to say the least, but even after they become friends, that tension never leaves; even through the end of the series. The group dynamic among the trio (Harry, Ron and Hermione) is fascinating. The stereotypical role of the airhead is usually, (but not rightly) played by a blond female. In this case, Ron is really the one to take on that role. He is often oblivious to social graces and perception of people's feelings.



It's interesting, but I find myself identifying with a lot of personality traits from each one of the intrepid trio. Like Hermione, I'm fairly studious and can be a bit of a know-it-all. Like Ron, I often lack confidence and social grace, but consider myself a loyal friend, and like Harry, I feel I'm quick to jump to conclusions, but have a good moral compass.

Quidditch

Did you notice who gave Harry is broomstick? It was Professor McGonagall and it wasn't just any old broomstick. It was the best on the market. I think this gesture shows a lot of insight into Professor McGonagall. She isn't just all business. She has a heart and I believe she has a real soft spot for Harry even though she has an interesting way of showing it. She's very old fashioned, but I love the brief moments when we can catch a glimpse of what's hiding beyond her stoic fascade.

Did you know that there are 700 ways to commit a Quidditch foul? Harry learned this piece of trivia from a book called Quidditch Through the Ages. Here's a bit of trivia for you. Quidditch Through the Ages is an actual book written by J.K. Rowling, and yes, I have it and I've read it. It's quite interesting too.

4 comments:

rogeber said...

How many times do Quidditch fouls get called in the books? I know the books never give a play-by-play of a complete game, but we definitely see some rough play.

Tyler the Gryffindork said...

That's a good question. I'm not sure. I do know for sure that Harry gets fouled in Sorcerer's Stone by Marcus Flint who blocks him from grabbing the snitch. I also know there are several fouls committed in a game against Slytherin in Prisoner of Askaban when Snape refs the game, although these fouls are never called because Snape is, well, Snape.

Tara said...

you have this book?

Tyler the Gryffindork said...

Dearest Tara,

Duh!

Love, Tyler