BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Chapter 1

Alright all you Gryffindorks, if you don't like my analysis or if you find any Raven-flaws in my blog posts. I won't be Slytherin' away, so you can just Huffle-shove-it.

Now, on to the action. The first thing to remember when reading this series is that there is no such thing as an insignificant detail. For this reason, many seemingly insignificant tidbits of information can actually be big clues as to things to happen later in the book or series. Normally, I won't spoil any crucial plot information that comes later in the series, but I want to illustrate the point that even in the very first chapter, there is a huge load of information beyond the obvious. Here is a list of items I picked out that have significance later in the book series.





1.) Although Professor McGonagall opposes the idea of sending Harry to live with the Dursleys, Dumbledore strongly insists, although the reason for this does not become significant or apparent until Book 5.

2.) Notice how Dumbledore offer's McGonagall a lemon drop. McGonagall clearly has never heard of them, but Dumbledore likes them. This is a major clue as to the nature of Dumbledore's relationships with others. Wizards clearly don't eat muggle candy, yet Dumbledore likes them because he simply likes them. He holds no prejudices. This is also evidenced by his unwavering trust in the half-giant Hagrid. The prejudices held by wizards against muggles and other non-wizard creatures becomes a large plot element of Book 5, is also an underlying theme in Books 4-7.

3.) Now, I've read this book about 8 times, yet I picked out something new once again this time around. When the muggle news is on and they're talking about the absurd flying habits of the owls that day, one news anchor holds back a smirk. It is also noted that his name is Ted. Why would J.K Rowling put in there that Ted obviously knows something the other muggle doesn't? I believe that this is the case because this Ted is actually Ted Tonks, father of Nymphadora Tonks of Book 5. Just a theory...

4.) Rowling also metions the name of Dedalus Diggle in passing. Dedalus acutally ends up playing minor roles throughout the books.

5.) Did you notice who Hagrid borrowed the motorcycle from? Yes, it was Sirius Black. This has huge significance in Book 3.

6.) Dumbledore uses a deluminator to put out the street lights. This handy little device has great significance, although it doesn't reappear in the series until the last book.

7.) Finally, notice where Harry lived before his parents were killed. They lived in Godric's Hollow. This will be important in Books 2 and 7 as well as later in this book.





So there you have it. In just the first chapter, there is a truck load of significant information and I'm sure there is more than what I've just mentioned. So, never take an offhand comment made by the author for granted. Constant vigilance!

3 comments:

mama b said...

Wow! I too, am impressed by how many references there are to later plots in the story. I'm more impressed that you know which book they are found! Dad thinks you have way too much time on your hands...no excuse for not getting straight "A"'s!

I like your Tonks theory. I remember you also had a theory once that Mrs. Figg was a witch. I don't think that theory played out. Oh well, fun to speculate.

Tara said...

Mrs. Figg is a witch. I'm not as good as Tyler, so I don't know which book it's in... but when Harry and Dudley are in the alley getting attacked by the dementors is when that is revealed. He does know WAY too much about HP!!

Tyler the Gryffindork said...

Actually, Mrs. Figg is neither muggle or witch. She is a squib (a witch with no magical ability). Yes mom, my theory did play out because like Tara pointed out, Mrs. Figg was indeed in touch with the magical community. We'll talk more about her when I actually get to that part.